- They serve as a means of communication between two institutions, an individual and an institution, heads of department, etc.
- Business proposals, invitations and requests can be made via these letters. Professional official letter template can easily accommodate company letterheads and logos which makes them perfect for business correspondence.
- Used for requests and appreciation of various services.
- Important for letters of introduction, cover letters, etc.
- Serve as a source of evidence and documented proof for legal proceedings or simply to clear any misunderstandings.
- Provides information regarding official conversations and transactions that have occurred between two consenting parties.
- It promotes and sustains a sense of goodwill.
- Establishes a means of communication and connection between those in correspondence.
- Good format engages the reader and draws them towards the point of importance.
- In reference to CV’s and cover letters, it establishes your communication skills.
- It showcases your professionalism and establishes grounds for any communication.
- Could provide a preventive measure or solution to a problem that has not been previously addressed. Thus, brings to light many issues that may not have been noticed.
Official letter template 01
Official letter template 02
Official letter template 03
Official letter template 04
Official letter template 05
Official letter template 06
Official letter template 07
- On the top left hand side of the page, place the sender’s name, address and telephone number.
- Right below that, write the date in full. For example, write 26th September 2016 instead of 26 – 08 – 2016 or 26/08/2016.
- Once you have completed this, write the name, job title and address of the recipient.
- The above should all be done on the left hand side of the page in capital letters.
- The next line should state the reason for the letter; whether it is an application for a request or addressing a problem you are facing.
- Dear Sir/Madam is reasonable salutation before you move on to the body or content.
- When writing the content, the first paragraph should be warm and briefly addressing the reason for the letter. The second paragraph should state your purpose with various details and facts. While, the third paragraph should conclude your purpose of the letter, requesting due consideration.
- End your letter with a simple ‘Thanking You’, ‘Sincerely’ or any other appropriate salutation followed by your name.
- Beyond this, you may mention any attachments that you have placed along with it.
- Leave enough space so that you can sign the letter without it looking cramped or untidy.
- If you are unsure about how to write an official letter format consult professional templates for further guidance.
- You should know the officials name, or at the very least his designation, so that you can address the letter appropriately.
- Look up government related websites for information on the person you want to write the letter to. These sites will usually have an address attached to the person.
- If you are not writing to any specific person, but a department, contact your Department of Homeland security for more information on how to get a letter through.
- Letters may be filtered through many people before they reach the person concerned. In order for your letter to receive approval ensure that it is brief, polite, well-written, thoughtful and appropriately addressed.
- Because of the filtration system, keep your letter brief and clear. Make your objective known with precision. This will hold the attention of whoever is reading it and they are more likely to pass it on to a higher authority.
- Firstly, depending on your request, you must figure out who will be able to grant it. This is easily accessible knowledge that you can get from the company’s secretary. You should have the full name, address and job title of the person concerned.
- Just like every other official letter the body of the letter remains the same. The addresses, salutations, etc., all remain in the same place.
- Remember that requests take time to process because the person you are addressing probably has other tasks that require his/her attention. Usually, a request takes two weeks to process.
- If your request is time sensitive, mention it without being demanding.
- Introduce yourself in a line or two so that the person concerned knows exactly whose request they are granting.
- Whenever you make a request it is very important to be polite and patient but affirmative, clear and direct.
- As you will notice in any official letter example that can be found online, there needs to be a 1” margin right around the body of the letter and single spaces between words.
- Font should be clear and crisp, around 12 point. Fancy font will be difficult to read and a complete waste of time.
- Keep your letter simple. There is no need for fancy font, different colors, or anything else. At most, place your company logo as the letter head.
- Do not divert from the point you are trying to make or reasons for writing the letter.
- Be polite but firm in statements and requests.
- Address whoever you intend to appropriately and with proper salutations.
- Use a simple white envelope to place your letter in.
- Place the senders name and address neatly in the top left of the envelope.
- The recipient’s name and address should be in the center, clearly written.
- There should be a clear structure. Every point should follow the other without seeming haphazard.
Official letter format 01
Official letter format 02
Official letter format 03
Official letter format 04
Official letter format 05
Official letter format 06
Official letter format 07
Official letter format sample 01
Official letter format sample 02
Official letter format sample 03
Official letter format sample 04
Official letter format sample 05
Official letter format sample 06
Official letter format sample 07